The Town of Carrboro is preparing for winter weather expected to bring freezing rain and ice to our area late Wednesday to Friday, Feb. 17-19.
Winter Storm Warning
The National Weather Service has issued a winter storm warning until 7 a.m. Friday. By midday Thursday, all precipitation is expected to fall as rain and freezing rain. Rates are likely to be heavier at the start of the event, become somewhat lighter Thursday late morning, then re-intensify Thursday afternoon and evening before ending Friday. There are also predictions for 25 mph wind gusts, which could cause falling trees.
Get the latest forecast at www.weather.gov/rah
Town of Carrboro Preparations:
- The Public Works Department will assist in the event of multiple trees or power lines down and/or road closures.
- Town crews and public safety personnel will monitor and adjust as needed.
Depending on the weather, there is a possibility that:
- Trash collection is delayed or rescheduled.
- Town offices (those which are currently conducting in-person public business) delay openings.
Here’s what you can do:
- Prepare now. Charge phones and batteries. Replenish your food and water supplies. Be ready to take care of your pets.
- Have blankets, warm clothes, phones charged, and flash lights! Prepare a kit: www.readync.org/plan-and-prepare/get-kit
- If you do not have to be on the roads during the storm, stay home.
- In the event of power outages, check with Piedmont Electric at https://pemc.coop/membership/automated-outage-reporting or 800-222-3107 or Duke Energy at duke-energy.com or 1-800-PowerOn (English) or 1-866-4-APAGON (Spanish). Outage map: duke-energy.com/outages/current-outages Please do not call 911 to report a power outage.
- Remember never to run a generator or grill inside a home, as they can produce deadly levels of carbon monoxide.
- Stay informed. Check the Town of Carrboro website and social media channels.