Have you noticed leaf piles around town? It’s certainly that time of year. The Town of Carrboro would like to remind everyone that leaves should not be piled into traffic lanes, bike lanes or sidewalks, as they become a dangerous public safety hazard.
Residents should also check collection schedules for yard waste and leaves, so that piles do not remain at the curb longer than necessary.
Typically, residents receive yard waste and loose-leaf collection twice per month, either on the first and third Mondays of the month or the second and fourth Mondays of the month. It’s important to note that although the collection day is Monday, depending on the volume of material placed at the curb, the routes may take more than one day to complete. There is no collection on the fifth Monday of the month.
Requirements for Leaf Pickup
- Residents must pile their leaves behind the curb.
- Don’t put leaves in the street or block sidewalks, bike lanes or storm drains.
- Optional use of a roll-out cart which is collected with an automated side loader refuse truck.
- No plastic or paper bags are allowed.
- Keep the gutter clear. Allow at least 1 foot between the curb and the leaves.
- Loose leaves waste must be free of all debris. No dirt, sod, rock, or concrete.
- Separate loose leaves and brush. Piles that contain limbs, brush or other yard waste will not be picked up.
- Place your leaf piles away from trees that have overhanging branches less than 14 feet from the ground, or lower branches that protrude into the lane of travel. These branches pose hazards to our equipment.
- Park vehicles at least 10 feet away from piles.
- Do not place leaves in lanes of travel (bike lanes/travel lanes).
- Help keep your neighborhood safe for people walking, biking, and driving by placing your trash, recycling and yard waste carts where they don't block the sidewalk, bike lane, or traffic flow.
- Loose leaves are picked up at no extra charge to our residents.
- This program helps to keep gutters and storm drainage grates clean and working properly through the winter.
- Carrboro’s Loose Leaf Collection Program is year-round.
- Often, when residents see our machinery approaching, they will come out and move their parked vehicles so we can access their leaf piles more easily. The crews appreciate this, as it makes the process go more smoothly.
- The Town recycles leaves as compost. Diverting these natural materials from the solid waste stream helps extend the usable landfill space and keeps methane-producing materials out of the landfill. FREE leaf compost is available to Carrboro residents. https://www.carrboronc.gov/2300/FREE-Leaf-Compost
- With appreciation and recognition to the New Hope Audubon Society, the Town is encouraging residents to follow the "Leave the Leaves" initiative. Leaving leaves where they fall, or close thereby, saves time and money and recycles nutrients into the local ecosystem. https://www.carrboronc.gov/2610/NEW-Leave-the-Leaves
More information is available at https://www.carrboronc.gov/2615/Loose-Leaves
Contact Carrboro Public Works at (919) 918-7425 or PWorks@carrboronc.gov