Tenant Education and Assistance

If you are experiencing difficulty with your rental housing, such as incomplete repairs and poor maintenance, suspected housing discrimination, or making payments, and cannot resolve the issue with your landlord, there are a few steps you can take.

1. Know Your Rights and Obligations

Orange County Declaration of Tenants Rights and Obligations

Know Your Rights, Housing Discrimination Brochures

2. Contact Town of Carrboro Inspections Division if you are experiencing difficulty with your housing situation and believe your dwelling is violating the Town's minimum Housing Code. 

Town of Carrboro Housing Code

Inspections Division

Contact information: Email:   PlanDept@carrboronc.gov  and Phone:  919-918-7336

Please note:  The Town has limited authority to intercede in disputes between tenants and landlords, but can assist in assessing the condition of the rental unit if a housing code violation is suspected.

3. Contact County and State resources for assistance if you believe you are being discriminated against.

Orange County Human Rights and Relations Commission

Fair Housing Project

Legal Aid of North Carolina

4. You may qualify for emergency housing assistance. Contact the Housing Helpline if you need assistance with payments or are facing eviction.

HousingHelp@orangecountync.gov or 919-245-2655

Orange County Emergency Housing Assistance (financial assistance)

Orange County Eviction Diversion Program

5. Contact Town of Carrboro Housing and Community Services if you are experiencing difficulty with your housing situation.

Contact information:  Email:  msummey@carrboronc.gov and Phone:  919-918-7318