Tenant Education and Assistance
If you are experiencing difficulty with your rental housing, such as incomplete repairs and poor maintenance, suspected housing discrimination, or making payments, and cannot resolve the issue with your landlord, there are a few steps you can take.
1. Know Your Rights and Obligations
2. Contact Town of Carrboro Inspections Division if you are experiencing difficulty with your housing situation and believe your dwelling is violating the Town's minimum Housing Code.
Contact information: Email: PlanDept@carrboronc.gov and Phone: 919-918-7336
Please note: The Town has limited authority to intercede in disputes between tenants and landlords, but can assist in assessing the condition of the rental unit if a housing code violation is suspected.
3. Contact County and State resources for assistance if you believe you are being discriminated against.
4. You may qualify for emergency housing assistance. Contact the Housing Helpline if you need assistance with payments or are facing eviction.
HousingHelp@orangecountync.gov or 919-245-2655
5. Contact Town of Carrboro Housing and Community Services if you are experiencing difficulty with your housing situation.
Contact information: Email: email@example.com and Phone: 919-918-7318
- Can the Town help if my landlord won’t make necessary repairs?
The Town has limited authority to intercede in disputes between tenants and landlords, but can assist in assessing the condition of the rental unit if a housing code violation is suspected. Contact Town of Carrboro Housing and Community Services if you are having trouble with your housing situation.
- My landlord is . . . threatening eviction, discriminating against me, refusing to return my security deposit, etc. What can I do?
Email HousingHelp@orangecountync.gov if you are experiencing a housing crisis.
Know your rights.
If you believe you’ve experienced housing discrimination, think you are being discriminated against, contact the Orange County Human Rights & Relations department, 919-245-2487 or Human_Relations@orangecountync.gov
- Where can I find affordable housing in Carrboro?
If you’re looking for an affordable apartment, The Housing Opportunity Finder can assist in the search. In addition to properties owned by nonprofit affordable housing providers, it also includes existing apartment complexes, many of which offer lower rents.
If you’re looking for affordable homeownership, the Town has compiled a list of nonprofit affordable housing providers, who not only provide housing affordability, but also ensure the property remains affordable well into the future. Many of the nonprofits listed also own and manage rental homes and apartments.
The Town’s Community Resources page can also point you to other housing-related resources.
This case is open and actively being investigated. Based on the actions of the suspect, the police department recommends that people walking in the area late at night be mindful of their surroundings and walk in groups if possible. Read on...
This weekend, the Town of Carrboro continues its Black History Month programs with a health and wellness fair on Saturday, and a concert featuring Mary Williams on Sunday. Our events are free, and families are welcome! Read on...
There were no injuries reported at the fire. Fire damaged three outbuildings, as well as additional equipment and a wooded area in the vicinity of the structures. Initial damage estimates are approximately $65,000. Read on...