A Winter Storm Warning is in effect with a wintry mix of precipitation expected, starting in the early hours of Sunday morning. For the most up-to-date weather information, please visit the National Weather Service - Raleigh at weather.gov/rah
Expect 1-3 inches of snow and icy roads that could make travel nearly impossible in certain areas. Up to a third of an inch of ice will cover roads and trees, according to the National weather Service, with wind gusts strong enough to knock over weak trees and blow branches onto power lines. These conditions mean everybody should stay home and stay safe during the storm.
Please access the following helpful links:
- Be Winter Weather Ready by making a family communications plan, restocking your emergency supplies kit, and bringing your pets inside. Gather flashlights, batteries, blankets and other supplies. Fuel vehicles. Charge phones and laptops. Learn more at https://www.readync.gov/stay-informed/north-carolina-hazards/winter-weather
- Power Outages -- Duke Energy estimates 750,000 customers could lose power in Carolinas due to winter storm. Read their update at https://townofcarrboro.org/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=1976
- Duke Energy customers can report an outage by texting OUT to 57801 or may also report an outage or view current outages on the Duke Energy app or at www.duke-energy.com/outages.
- Piedmont Electric customers can call 800-449-2667 or 800-222-3107. Voice instructions will direct you through the system. Online: https://pemc.smarthub.coop/Login.html Text “pemc” to 800-222-3107. Then text “#out” to report an outage. For outage updates, text “#status”.
- Town of Carrboro Public Works is responsible for responding and reducing winter weather related roadway hazards. Public Works crews have worked to pretreat roads by applying brine throughout town. This process helps prevent snow and ice from bonding to pavement, making it easier to plow off. Watch this video from Spectrum News about the brining process at https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nc/charlotte/news/2022/01/14/carrboro-crews-brine-roads-ahead-of-weekend
- Thanks to our Public Works Department! The Carrboro Public Works Department schedules a Snow Plow Rodeo each year to provide training opportunities to employees. Before it's actually snowing, they work on skills and technical abilities with snow plows and other equipment. Meet the Public Works Team that will remove ice and snow from our roads! Watch the video at https://youtu.be/WrtSrUqr1wY
Stay safe out there, Carrboro!